What is Lunula Laser?
The Lunula low-level laser system is an innovated treatment for fungal infections of the nails. The Lunula is a Medical Device and has been cleared for use in Europe according to the Medical Device Directive (93/42/EEC).
How does the Lunula Laser Work?
The Lunula delivers a combination of two very low-power lasers simultaneously at very specific wavelengths to the surface of your feet. The lasers generate a rotating beam and can cover a large are of the foot to completely treat infections within the nails and nail bed.
What lasers are used?
The two lasers used in the Lunula are:
- Blue (405nm), this acts directly and specifically upon the fungus and causes changes in its outer wall, this weakens it signficantly, allowing teh body’s immune system to attack and destroy it
- Red (635nm), is acting upon the body’s natural immune cells – fortifying them, and thus making them ore active and able to neutralize and destroy the weakened fungus. In addition, the red light can stimulate and improve blood flow; this additional blood flow brings nutrients and additional immune cells to the affected area, speeding up the treatment process.
How long does the treatment last?
The treatment will last for 12 minutes and you will feel no sensation; the lasers are not harmful to you in any way as they use very low power settings. The treatment will be repeated at weekly intervals, the number of treatments depends upon the severity of your infection. You do not have to take oral medication or apply any topical agents during the treatment, however strict feet hygiene protocols must be adhered to in order to prevent re-infection.
What happens after the treatment?
- it is recommended that clean shoes and socks are put on.
- You may carry out your normal activities and return to work.
- It is important that you adhere rigorously to nail hygiene procedures as prescribed by Dr. Ablon, and return for any follow-up treatments.
It is not anticipated that you will feel any major effects of the Lunula treatment. It is not unusual for a tingling sensation to be felt, and even some redness in the feet. This is due to the improved blood flow and is harmless. The effects will subside within a day or two.
It is very unlikely that you will experience any side effects as a result of your treatment, however, if you do experience any significant discomfort – swelling, significant skin irritation, or rash – pleas inform Dr. Ablon’s staff.
As with any medical procedure, 100% efficacy can not be guaranteed. However, clinical trials conducted by Erochonia Corp. showed an improvement in 97% of nails treated with Lunula. Nails may have been subjected to trauma resulting in some permanent damage to the area which may remain even when there is no longer a presence of Onychomycosis.